During the week, I don’t have much time for breakfast. I usually have a bowl of oatmeal or toast with eggs — nothing special. But on the weekends when I have more time, I like to splurge a little. Why not, right?
This idea was inspired by one of my favorite chocolate shops, Vosges. They make a Bacon Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix that I’ve been dying to try, but I can’t seem to get past the $12 price tag — especially when it’s something I could make myself from scratch. So, here’s what I came up with. Simple, fluffy buttermilk pancakes (with some cocoa powder mixed in for good measure), topped with crispy, salty bacon, creamy chocolate chips and thick, sweet maple syrup.
Oh yeah, baby. Now that’s a breakfast worth splurging for.
Chocolatey Buttermilk Pancakes with Bacon
What you need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked until very crispy and chopped
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Maple syrup (the real stuff!)
How you do it:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine buttermilk, milk, eggs and butter. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. If the batter seems thick, add a smidge more milk (these measurements worked well for me, though).
- In a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat, add the batter, one ladle full at a time, making any size pancakes you like. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until bubbles form in the center. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve each stack of pancakes with a sprinkling of bacon and chocolate chips. Top with warm maple syrup.
Pancakes and bacon can only be a hit. I would have to have rashers of crispy streaky bacon for my hubby though.
Amazing combo..pancakes and bacon, life is good!:))
Yours looks so delicious, and nice presentation!
Chocolate, bacon and MAPLE syrup and truly a winning combo!
Chocolate and bacon – doesn’t get better!!! Beautiful!
Chocolate and bacon…be still my heart!
I like the idea of pancakes in chocolate! It sounds lovely.
Pingback: Some Pancake Oriented Link Love | From An Irish Oven
this looks insanely divine. I don’t even know what to say! Bacon and Chocolate and Pancakes! AHH yum. I’ve been wanting to do an ebelskiver (filled-pancake) version of this for a while.
That is sexy. Makes me want to eat bacon again.
What a fantastic breakfast! I love pancakes for breakfast but also for dinner as a special treat. Next time I’ll make your chocolatey version, delicious.