Recently, I’ve been very obsessed with the new social site Pinterest — a virtual pinboard that allows you to “pin” images from across the web and save them to your own personal board. You can also follow other Pinterest users and repin their images. For visual people like me, it’s a pretty awesome way to bookmark the things you like and discover new favorites.
I came across an image for this recipe on Pinterest and it caught my eye because, really, who doesn’t like donuts? The no-fry concept was appealing to me, so I figured I’d give it a try. The original recipe had a cinnamon sugar coating, but I prefer powdered sugar, so that’s how I made mine. Glaze would be good, too.
Since these are baked, they’re obviously not going to be exactly the same as a fried donut (a girl can dream), but the cakey texture is pretty dead on. They’re as fun to make as they are to eat — this one’s definitely a keeper.
Sugary Sweet Cake Donut Muffins (makes 12)
Adapted from How To: Simplify
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
How you do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl (or large liquid measuring cup), combine oil, sugar, egg and milk. Add wet ingredients to dry, and fold until just combined.
- Grease a muffin tin and distribute the batter equally between the 12 cups. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Remove the muffins from the tin while they’re still hot, toss in the powdered sugar (I tossed each muffin twice), and set aside on a rack to cool.