As most of you know, I love my oatmeal. However, I recently met a new love — muesli. It’s like oatmeal’s more exciting cousin. (Which makes for quite an interesting love triangle, no?)
Muesli is basically a cereal of uncooked oats, nuts and fruit. Sure, you can buy it pre-packaged (like most things), but it’s so easy to make and tastes so much better when you do it yourself.
The measurements for this muesli were inspired by Leek Soup, but feel free to customize it any which way. It’s literally impossible to mess up a muesli. I like mine soaked overnight in coconut milk and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon (and maybe a spoonful of peanut or almond butter if I’m feeling frisky). Hearty yumminess.
What you need:
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup dried fruit (I used raisins and cranberries)
- 1 cup nuts, toasted and chopped (I used almonds and walnuts)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Milk or yogurt (for serving)
- Cinnamon, maple syrup, honey, fresh fruit, peanut butter, or any other topping (for serving)
How you do it:
- To make the muesli itself, combine all ingredients mentioned above, with the exception of milk and toppings. Store in a covered container.
- The night before, soak muesli in milk or yogurt and keep in the fridge. I find that a 2:1 ratio of milk/yogurt to muesli works best, but play around with it to find what measurements you like.
- The next morning, stir the soaked muesli and top with your choice of toppings. Enjoy!
I make mine one bowl at a time. I usually use 1/2C of rolled oats, 1/2 C milk, 1/2-1 t. cinnamon (I like my cinnamon), chopped walnuts and 1 t. agave syrup. I usually top it with 1/2 of a banana in the morning. I agree that it is MUCH better soaked overnite, but it can be soaked for just 10 minutes in the morning if I forgot to put it together the night before. Very healthy AND yummy!
Oh wow this sounds like a healthy and yummy bowl 🙂 Can’t wait for the sun to rise 🙂
The perfect breakfast (Ahem, if you add a side of bacon that is!) 😉
YUM! Love muesli but I’ve never done it like this before. I’m gonna try it. Thanks!
Yum! I like your variations. Thanks so much for linking to my blog!
I love more exciting cousins too. This looks so scrumptious and healthy! It is so pretty unstirred with the design.
I’ve never made muesli before. This looks really good!
so healthy light and yummy! great photo and recipe, gotta try it for breakfast sometime! thanks so much for sharing! =]
Yum, I think I want this for dinner tonight! 🙂
So I totally need to make this now!! Looks delicious! 🙂
Good call on the coconut milk, never thought of adding that to the mix, but that would be really good. I also just tried some coconut milk ice cream the other night, also pretty damn tasty.
Oh how I ♥ muesli! Yum! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice compliment on my little guy. I tend to agree with you 🙂 lol