Just when I thought I’d exhausted every side salad recipe known to man, I randomly came up with this one. Crunchy and licoricey fennel tossed with a crispy and tart apple, then coated in a lemony vinaigrette with salty parmesan cheese. A bright, summery and light salad that can be enjoyed even when the weather is none of the above.
Fennel and Apple Salad
What you need:
- 2 fennel bulbs, fronds reserved, quartered, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, toss the fennel and apple together with lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt, pepper and parmesan and combine until well coated. For garnish, add a tablespoon or so of chopped fennel fronds.
- For the best flavor and texture, let the salad sit in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.