Whew — it’s been busy around here. New jobs (more on that soon), new accomplishments and a few other things that deserve to be celebrated. And what better way to celebrate than with my favorite cocktail — the Old Fashioned.
After much at-home Old Fashioned experimentation with less-than-perfect results, I accepted the fact that my drinks just weren’t up to par. No more whiskey shall be sacrificed at the hands of this unskilled cocktail maker! It was time to learn from a pro.
- 2 ounces whiskey or bourbon (I really love Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey for a splurge, but Maker’s Mark is my favorite go-to.)
- .25 ounces demerara (sugar in the raw) simple syrup
- 2 droppers* orange bitters (I use Bittercube. They’re more expensive than the other brands, but they’re absolutely the best.)
- 1 dropper* Angostura bitters
- 1 dropper* cherry vanilla bitters (Also Bittercube, optional.)
- A jigger
- A stir rod
- A cocktail strainer
- A nice whiskey or scotch glass (Mine are Villeroy & Boch.)