If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a million times — “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” And when it comes to breakfast foods, I much prefer savory over sweet (aside from the occasional Nutella crepe, of course). My sweet tooth doesn’t wake up until much later in the day, which means I’m slightly picky about what I choose to eat for my first meal. I’m usually a plain oatmeal (loaded with ground flax seeds, walnuts and dried cranberries) or eggs kind of girl, but occasionally I like to mix it up with something special. What’s your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
I find these muffins to be the perfect mix of sweet and savory, and I like how the cornmeal gives them a hearty texture. Plus they’re super convenient during the week when I’m often running late (stupid snooze button) and need something grab-and-go.
Lemon Berry Cornmeal Muffins (makes 12-14 muffins)
From The Joy of Baking
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, or any berry you like
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How you do it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with muffin cups, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup, combine egg, milk, oil and
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry using a rubber spatula. Stir only until combined — do not over mix. Add berries and fold gently into the mixture.
- Fill each muffin cup approximately 3/4 of the way. Bake for approximately 18 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
Sounds delicious and worth a try. I LOVE corn muffins. For
breakfast I generally like to mix a little savory and a little
sweet. Been eating dried cherries and salted roasted almonds
lately. Today we went to Tweet and I ordered a side of one piece of
French Toast. OMG, I wish I knew what they did. It was SOOOOOOOOO
Wake up your sweet tooth?? My sweet tooth never sleeps!
Anyway, I’m not a huge fan of lemon-flavored things but these look
yummy with the berries and the cornbread type muffin. They seem
very light yet full of flavor.
What a lovely idea – lemon berry cornmeal muffins. Yummy.
These sound delicious! Not too sweet but just sweet enough 🙂 Thanks for sharing your recipe!