I happen to love oatmeal. So when I came across this baked oatmeal recipe on Macheesmo, I knew I had to give it a try. What makes this recipe so special is that you soak the oats in a custard-like mixture overnight, allowing them to soak up all the delicious flavors. This also gives the oats a chewy, nutty texture, which is quite nice — especially when topped with toasted walnuts and dried cranberries and submerged in a puddle of warm milk. Oh. Yes. And by the way, there is no better smell to wake up to than this oatmeal baking in the oven. Heavenly.
Who’s hatin’ on oatmeal now?
Hearty Baked Oatmeal (makes approximately 6 servings)
Adapted from Macheesmo
What you need:
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- 3 cups rolled oats
- Toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, warm milk (or any assortment of toppings you like)
How you do it:
- Lightly grease an 8″x8″ baking dish.
- Mix eggs and brown sugar in the bottom of the dish, whisking to remove lumps. Add melted butter and carefully whisk to combine.
- Add baking powder, vanilla, ground flax seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt directly to the dish and whisk well. Carefully add the milk and stir to combine.
- Add the toasted coconut and oats and carefully fold into the mixture, making sure everything is combined really well. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the oatmeal for approximately 45 minutes, or until the edges are brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then cut yourself a piece, top it with toasted walnuts and dried cherries, and pour some warm milk over the top. Enjoy!