I love breakfast food, especially that of the savory type. I make a potato, pepper and onion hash pretty frequently, but I tend to have food ADD (aka: I get bored easily). So, I decided to mix it up a bit, and in the process came up with this little gem.
Midway through creating this recipe — by some stroke of foodie genius — I randomly decided to bake eggs on top of it. Um, why had I never thought of that before?! I hate to pat myself on the back, but seriously — it was a pretty awesome idea.
Let’s just say my standard hash has been one-upped by its sweeter, spicier counterpart. Long live breakfast yumminess.
Sweet and Spicy Hash (serves 2)
What you need:
- 1 raw chorizo link, casing removed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Sliced avocado
How you do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, cook the chorizo. Once cooked through, remove from skillet (leaving a smidge of rendered fat in the pan) and set aside on paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the potatoes and onion to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook in the rendered chorizo fat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are cooked through; approximately 25 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, stir the cooked chorizo back to the skillet. Crack 2 eggs over the hash and put the pan in the oven. Cook until the egg whites are set; approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve by topping each portion with chopped parsley, crumbled feta and a few slices of avocado.
Absolutely genius – quite a good lunch idea too.
Wow. Just wow. I love savory breakfasts, too. I always tell myself, when we go out to eat, that this time I’ll get something like waffles or pancakes, but I never do. I’m constantly seduced by the smell of bacon and eggs and potatoes. Ah. Yum. I’ve never baked eggs, either. But, now I definitely need to. Your eggs looks incredibly luscious! So smooth and perfect. Love it!
I could eat this any day and everyday for breakfast..looks fantastic! Love your pics
Mmm, mmm, a chorizo hash with eggs on top. That is MY kind of breakfast!
wonderful – looks so elegant!
Oh my word…I love everything on that plate… brilliant idea for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I love breakfast food! 🙂
This looks so good! Exactly what I want to try tomorrow for Breakfast!
That looks SO good, what a hearty breakfast! I am wishing I had this and not an apple for breakfast now! haha
My bf is a chef and baked eggs are his signature brunch dish! Great minds think alike!!!
This looks awesome! Where is my fork??
I love breakfasts like this. Hashes are so yummy and it’s such a great way to clean out your fridge.
I actually did something similar on sunday. Ben had some bacon that he made with his brother along with left over pierogi filling. We breaded the pierogi filling with crushed matzo and cooked it in the same pan where we made the bacon. Then fried some eggs and put that on top of the piergoi pancake, and sauteed some mushroom caps in the juices. Paired with a spicy bloody mary it was a fabulous makeshift breakfast!
Pingback: Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Black Beans and Gorgonzola «
This is like comfort food. love this breakfast treat!!Fabulous:)
This is like my ideal combination of ingredients for breakfast. Looks delicious – I’ll be giving this a try for sure!
I’m not a big sweet potato fan, but I just had to tell ya that your pictures make me want to try this! Looks so delicious!! 🙂
Pingback: Brunch at Home | CassaStyle
Pingback: Sweet & Spicy Hash With Baked Eggs | hugs 'n kitchen